Friday, June 22, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals


I hope that my work with the students I teach makes a difference in their lives.  The teenagers I work with are, for the most part, very different than me at that age.  Many have to make adult decisions, as in the case of my teen parents.  Some have little to no parent support.  Many feel hopeless.  I want to be there to give them hope, to show them they can be a success in life.  Every year at the beginning of June, I get to see some of my students graduate from high school.  This year it was very special as I had seven teen parenting students receive their diplomas.  That is more than any year since I began teaching the program.  I know that I made a difference in the lives of those seven students and their children. 

I would like for all children in the United States to have access to high quality early childhood programs regardless of income, race, or ability.  Currently, I feel there is a large population of middle-class children who are not afforded the opportunity to attend quality preschool programs.  The costs associated with good programs are often too high for working class parents to afford, yet they do not qualify government subsidized programs. 

Good luck to all of my colleagues as we continue on our Walden Journey!  I can’t believe it has been a year since I started the program.  Thank you all for your continued support and I look forward to working with you again in future courses.

1 comment:

The Early Childhood Manoir said...

Christine,
You mentioned the importance of knowing your intended audience, which is crucial in effective communication. This is particularly important in the classrooms where we have children in various developmental brackets and with other factors that can influence message reception and understanding (e.g., culture, language, physical and hearing impairments and so one). Additionally, as a trainer, this understanding can make my training a success or a failure. It usually allows me to respond to the needs of those visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners in my audience. Thank you for this insight.
Nar