Save the Children (http://www.savethechildren.org/):
· I chose this organization because they are committed to improving the lives of children all over the world and in the United States. They focus on protecting the children through education. They also help to protect children from exploitation by teaching children from around the world how to protect themselves. They respond to tragedies and disasters in the US and worldwide by creating kid friendly areas and helping children cope. They protect children who have been separated from their families and work to reunite them. They also have programs to improve the health and nutrition of children around the world.
· Job opportunities with Save the Children: Save the Children has several job opportunities around the world. One that looked interesting to me is program director for the READ (Reading Enhancement for Advancing Development Activity) program in Bangladesh. The purpose of the program is to improve the reading skills of children in Bangladesh. Requirements for the job include a minimum of a Master’s degree in education and at least 7 years’ experience implementing similar programs. Must have supervisory experience and committed to follow the equality guidelines of the organization.
The International Step by Step Association (http://www.issa.nl/index.html):
· I chose this organization because they connect professionals in the field of early childhood from around the world. They provide information and resources for education and help children and parents from around the world gain access to quality education. They also provide professional development and support to early childhood professionals.
· Job opportunities with ISSA: Program manager of Romani Early Years Network (REYN). Managed by ISSA, the network focuses on emerging and established Romani early childhood development professionals, as well as other professionals working in the field of Early Childhood Development (ECD) with Roma communities. The network will work to develop skills and good practice, establish effective partnerships and support professional development. The director is in charge of implementation and support of the programs, in addition to fundraising and maintaining the budget. Must have a university degree in related field and understand Romani children, families, and communities. Must also have at least 3 years’ experience with international early childhood programs and be committed to the mission, goals, and values of ISSA.
· I chose UNICEF because it is an organization that everyone has heard of, but not everyone really understands what they actually do. Until today I did not know that UNICEF had several areas of focus. They are: child survival and development, basic education and gender equality, HIVS/AIDS and children, child protection, and policy advocacy and partnerships. They help children from all over the world.
· Job opportunities with UNICEF: An interesting job opportunity is education specialist in Nairobi, Kenya. The position requires working with the United Nations Girls' Education Initiative (UNGEI) in order to plan, implement, and sustain quality education for the children in the area. Qualifications include an advanced university degree in education, social sciences, and development studies or other related field. At least eight years of relevant work experience in similar program management. Must be fluent in English and at least one other UN language.