Three local or state organizations or communities of practice that appealed to me:
- The Northeast ISD School-age parenting program. The program is well-established within the district and I already have a relationship with them. They are committed to helping teen parents and their children.
- City of San Antonio City Council district council woman Ivy Taylor. She is on the board of Healthy Futures of Texas which is an organization that is committed to preventing teen pregnancies.
- Healy-Murphy Center. Offers an alternative high school program to pregnant and parenting teens. The school has an on-site daycare. This is very similar to the program I would like to start in NEISD.
Job opportunities (currently available or not) that interest me:
- I love my current job as a high school teen parent educator. I also teach 3 sections of Child Development and 2 sections of a teacher preparation course. If I never get a new position, I will be OK. However, the position I would like to obtain would be director of the district’s child development center. This would be part of the teen parent academy that is my dream.
Skills and experience that you would need to competently fulfill each of these roles.
- My educational experience at Walden University has provided me most of the skills and knowledge that I would need for this position. It would be nice if I had experience working in a child development center, but, alas, I do not. In order to learn more about the position, I could visit the Healy-Murphy Center to learn more about running this type of program.