Saturday, July 14, 2012

Communication and Diversity


 I experience many different types of people on a daily basis and I communicate differently depending on the situation.  I must communicate with my students in a way that engages them, but is still professional.  Communication with my colleagues and parents must be professional in a different way.  I communicate differently with my children, my husband, and my family. 

When I am at work, I am engaging in group or organizational communication.  With my family and friends the communication is interpersonal (O’Hair & Weimann, 2009).  I think it is only natural to change your communication style to fit the situation.  Whatever the situation, it is important to always communicate respectfully and be able to recognize potential barriers to communication.   

In order to help me be an effective communicator I can focus on mindful communication where I don't let my schemas take over information processing.  I can also look beyond first impressions, which can often lead to inaccurate conclusions.  Finally, I can recognize my own cultural myopia to prevent stereotyping and prejudice (O'Hair & Weimann, 2009).


References:

O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s.

4 comments:

Cari B said...

Christine,

It seems like this assignment was more like a discussion post doesn't it? I like it when we have the freedom to answer and write about our own personal experiences. I kind of feel like this class is very different than the classes we have had in the past. Do you think so?

Trecy Zarrieff said...

Thank you Christine for your posting. We do have different way to communicates to different people.

Trecy Zarrieff said...

Thank You for your posting. It is true we have to communicate differently with many people in our life.

Unknown said...

Christine, I agree with your blog post. I too need to work on being mindful, to avoid mindlessness, when communicating with to others. I must also confess that I need to work more on being aware of my own cultural myopia.